Thursday, June 30, 2011

NEFanX

The New England Fan Experience was an annual event but was cancelled in 2010. I attended in 2009 when the guests included Leonard Nimoy, John De Lancie, Corin Nemec and Gareth David-Lloyd. There was an optional dinner one night and an optional breakfast with the guests. In addition, there were some paid experiences that were above and beyond the remainder of the convention. Of the offerings, I chose a poetry reading with John De Lancie, which was excellent.

This convention was a typical fan run convention. There was a nice variety of guests and it was relatively inexpensive. There were extra add on events which added to the cost but were optional. Photo ops and autographs were in the $20 range. The exceptional event at this convention for me was the dinner primarily because I sat with Corin Nemec. This was my first time meeting him and it was quite exceptional. After dinner there was a radio play in which the media guests were the performers.

What I discovered at this convention was the absolute joy it can be to meet an actor who isn't necessarily at the height of his popularity because the encounters are more relaxed. While Gareth was followed around by a security person, Corin was on his own for most of the convention.

Overall, this convention gets a B. The fans made this wonderful as well as the low key experiences with Corin. I learned a lot about attending Q&A's without expectations because people I may have been the most interested in seeing before didn't necessarily end up being my favorites by the end of the weekend. I met a lot of people at that convention who I am still friendly with.

No comments:

Post a Comment