Thursday, June 30, 2011

Torchsong 2009

I started going to conventions in June of 2009. While I'd been to other conventions when I was younger, it was as a passive participant because I went to some of the parties. As an active participant, Torchsong was my first convention.


Torchsong 2009 was the first and possibly last convention put on by Mary Lee Holzenheimer and Space Debris. It was initially surrounding John Barrowman and gradually added other guests which turned out to be an excellent thing because John ended up cancelling due to injury.

I had opted for an all inclusive package with photo ops and autographs as well as reserved seating in the theatre. It was held at the Rosemont Convention center in Chicago. The guests included Peter Wingfield, Mark Sheppard, Tom Price, Carole Barrowman and Gareth David Lloyd. Kai Owen and John Barrowman had to cancel. It is supposed to be rescheduled but nothing has been determined yet.

It was my first convention and I didn't know what to expect. The cocktail party was quite nice even though the line to register and get in delayed my arrival. I liked the hotels. The guests were easy to talk to though I was quite nervous. I did meet quite a few people in the lines though at this point I'm not sure I recall who was all at Torchsong.

Overall grade: C+, partially due to the fans. Quite negative when John Barrowman cancelled. The convention itself is a B+. Overall access to the guests at the cocktail party was lovely. The size was a little too small because many people left. One of the organizers was a complete ass though the other I've come to know and appreciate. The Skype session with John was unique but it remains my only 'contact' with him and its special because of it. Also, I believe we saw very candid moments with him that were induced by regret, painkillers and the comfort of being in his own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment